Projects in Progress

June 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags: ,

I’ve got a couple projects in the works at the moment. A list:

  • Kozo’s Pennsy A3 Switcher
  • Tiny Power Ajax
  • Stuart No.1
  • Stuart Sirius
  • GWR Collett(from Engineering in MIniature)

I’m thinking of adding the Darjeeling engine from Model Engineer that they just started. Very nice engine, and I’d like to follow along with the article as they print it. I need to cut some steel for the frames on that one.

There’s another project on my mind. A model of 6069, currently parked in Centennial Park. I’ve been volunteering with a group that is restoring it presently. It occurs to me that this is a perfect time for measuring to design and build a miniature. It’s a beautiful engine. I need to get the works drawings so I can figure out the frames, I’m thinking something in 5″ gauge.

Advertisements

Further progress in the shop.

June 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment
Tags: ,

The Stuart No. 1 is progressing nicely. I finished drilling the upper cylinder head yesterday. A photo:

Photo on 2010-06-07 at 12.04.jpg

The spigot in the center needs to be taken off. I loctited the head to the cylinder, and mounted the rig in the mill on a rotary table. I drilled both with the tap drill for 2BA. After drilling, I knocked them apart with a hammer and opened the holes in the head out to clearance size. I was then able to clamp them together(using a large kant-twist clamp) and use the head as a tapping guide. Got the studs in perfectly straight. It’s a touch snug, but goes on wonderfully.

With the head off the cylinder:

Photo on 2010-06-07 at 12.11.jpg

The head and top of the cylinder where lapped together using clover compound. I applied a few dabs between the two and used the mill to spin the head while I held the cylinder against it. The meeting face has a nice dull sheen.

In this picture you can see the port face:

Photo on 2010-06-07 at 12.11 #2.jpg

This engine employs a garden variety d-valve. The steam passages are cast in. I still need to lap the port face to flatten it. I think I will do this before drilling for the steamchest bolts. It’s a pain and a half to get the lapping compound out of the holes.

Photo on 2010-06-07 at 12.11 #3.jpg

This shows the lower end of the cylinder. Undrilled for the lower cylinder head. That has to be tackled next, and it’ll be difficult. I removed the chucking spigot prematurely. I’m going to machine out the gland and use it to mount the part to an arbour. Pictures will be forthcoming on that one too.

Drilling cylinder head

June 6, 2010 at 11:04 am | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags:

Spent some time in the shop yesterday. Having some trouble getting the cylinder centered. I think there’s been an issue with my centering of the table under the mill spindle.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.